Sunday 25 September 2011

Weight gain: The Good, the bad and the plan

I'm not happy about writing this post at all. In fact, to be honest, I'd rather avoid it, but I'm making myself.

Here's what has happened. I have put on SEVEN pounds since I last tracked my weight properly 3 weeks ago.

On 3rd September I weighed 133.8lbs
Today I weigh 140.8lbs

7lbs - that's quite some going in 3 weeks!


Okay, that's the 'bad' bit out of the way.

The good bits to be taken out of this are:

I know exactly why it's happened. Plus, I'm 'only' 2lbs above my goal weight.

The strange thing is, I can 'feel' this extra weight more so than I did the extra 50lbs. Weird eh? It's a bit hard to explain, but I am more aware of this extra 7lbs, even if I put on 2 or 3lbs I can feel that too.

So what happened?

I've had a crazy busy 3 weeks. They have been filled with really great and interesting things, but I have been totally out of my routine. For most of that time I've been out and about, even going abroad for 4 days. I've had to eat out a LOT, and to be quite frank, I haven't had the choices of food I would like available, and there have been occasions where the only option wasn't a good option, but I had to eat something.

Whilst being so busy I have also missed meals and let myself get to the point of being really hungry, and reached for a quick fix that would boost my energy fast. Or I've eaten too much at certain meal times, not knowing when I'd get a chance to eat again.

I've written before about portion sizes and what I am eating to lose weight. Suffice to say, it's no surprise that although I have tried, I haven't been able to do that in the last few weeks, and I realise that eating out on a regular basis is hard! There simply aren't the perfect choices available.

And I've been missing out on these!! It's been 3 weeks since I have shopped for my fruit and veg haul. If there's a 'secret' to my weight loss success, it's these beauties. LOTS of them. I'm pleased to say I'm all stocked up again!


So, what's the plan?

Simply to get back into a bit more of routine again. The last 3 weeks were probably the busiest I've had this year, and were an exceptional period. I'll see this weight gain as a blip and move on and get back to goal. Or just under. I feel quite happy at around the 135lb mark.

Also, I haven't had much time to fit in much exercise recently, I usually fit in a bit of exercising such as hula hooping, biking, stepping, or bounding. Today I put on my running shoes for the first time in a long time. I've missed it! I stopped when I got a leg injury and my running got pushed to one side. Today I went for a gentle 2 mile walk/run and actually did better than I thought. As with a lot of things, taking the first step can be the most daunting, but once you do it, momentum follows.

2 mile walk/run route
I might have more blips along the way. After all, if I want to keep the 50lbs off for the rest of my life, I'm going to have to work at it, but I enjoy feeling better and looking slimmer too much to undo all my hard work!

And now I'm off to make a mega veggie and chicken curry! Low fat of course ;)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...