Monday 30 January 2012

Two years since my Dad passed away

On a sad note, the 20th Jan marked 2 years since my Dad passed away.

I'm terrible at remembering birthdays. I'm really, really bad at it, but that's a date I don't think I'll ever be able to forget.

I'm okay though, I didn't spend the day weeping or wallowing in it all. I acknowledged it in my own way.

I was speaking to someone only the other day (who reads this blog, so Hello, and thanks for the chat), who lost their Mum fairly recently. I was saying that until I lost my Dad, I didn't really understand what other people went through when they had lost someone close. It's only when it happens to you, that you really know how it feels. They said 'Life never looks the same again'.

And that's what it is. Life does look/seem different now. It's hard to pin point exactly how. Maybe it's the different perspective. If anything good can be found in bereavement, for me, it's been an even more determined attitude to make the most of everything. I'm not going anywhere with regrets!

And I guess that's why one of my new year resolutions is to Be Bolder. Just go for things. I might make mistakes, I might do things wrong, but in the grand scheme of things, I'll least I'll have tried, not given up and done the best I can.

I wrote a blog when my Dad was ill and after he passed away; The Old Songs Are The Best. But be warned, it's a very sad read about hospitals and doctors and death and funerals. Looking back I'm surprised I was able to write it at all. I guess I needed that outlet.

I'm not sure I have any words of wisdom re bereavement really. It's a very strange thing, and it's all a bit hard to comprehend, but the passing of time helps with it all.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...